The Swamidass Sez

Monday, January 16, 2006

The Most Surreal Moment of my Life

We sat in my dorm room watching movies, ate at Burger King, and played tennis on the college team together. He is from South Africa and I was from Auburn, AL at the time. Just a couple of regular collge kids. We parted ways in 1997, but kept in touch sporadically.
Time passed, and it was 7 years later before I saw him again...Here...


This is the Siebel Open in San Jose, CA - He's on the left and that's Andre Agassi is on the right. For non-tennis players, I think this would be similar to seeing a good friend from college acting in a movie opposite Tom Hanks, Mel Gibson, Tom Cruise, or any other internationally known celebrity. The experience is difficult to put into words. Surreal. Bizarre. Incredible.

Since that point (he lost to Agassi), my friend Wesley Moodie has gone on to beat several top 20 players and win Wimbledon Doubles in 2005.

And today, I read that having won his first match at the Austrailian open, he'll be playing Andy Roddick next. Wish I could be there - Go Wes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home