The Swamidass Sez

Sunday, January 22, 2006

This is my Father’s World

Recently I downloaded (legally from iTunes) a rendition of "This is my Father’s World" performed by Fernando Ortega. It has become one of my favorites - I think the music and lyric combination is both beautiful and moving:

This is my Father's world,
And to my listening ears
All nature sings and round me rings
The music of the spheres.

This is my Father's world,
I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas,
His hand the wonders wrought.

This is my Father's world
The birds their carols raise.
The morning light, the lily white,
Declare their Maker's praise.

This is my Father's world
He shines in all that's fair;
In the rustling grass, I hear Him pass,
He speaks to me everywhere.

This is my Father's world,
O let me ne'er forget:
That thought the wrong seems oft' so strong,
God is the ruler yet.

This is my Father's world,
The battle is not done
Jesus who died shall be satisfied,
And the earth and heaven be one.

2 Comments:

  • Amen to that, Vijay. I especially like how the climax of the hymn deals with the problem of evil:

    "That though the wrong seems oft' so strong,
    God is the ruler yet."

    And the last verse gives us a straigh-forward answer to this apparent problem:

    This is my Father's world,
    The battle is not done
    Jesus who died shall be satisfied,
    And the earth and heaven be one."

    One of my other absolute favorite hymns (and I have many) is Of the Father's Love Begotten.

    Cheers

    By Blogger DrewDog, At 10:11 PM  

  • My thoughts exactly.
    I haven't heard this sung at Redwood in a while (if ever)...I'll mention it to Daniel.

    Vijay

    By Blogger Vijay Swamidass, At 5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home