The Swamidass Sez

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Would I Hire Me?

Today, myself and 2 others interviewed a candidate for a position in our group. After the interview, we shared our comments with each other. As each of us pointed out reasons why we shouldn't hire him, I began to wonder if I'm too hard on candidates. He didn't seem overly impressive, but how much better did I perform in my interview? Did I blow them away or did someone just decide to take a chance on me? If I interviewed myself, would I hire me?

2 Comments:

  • "Would you hire him/her?" I cringe when I hear that question after a day of peer interviewing. It's a good but difficult question, and it's one reason why "I am not a manager." (Hm, that sounds like a book title...) I could also see how a mere peer interviewer, not being the manager or lead who is accountable for and in need of filling a position, to pickily dwell on candidates' negatives.

    I don't consider myself a very good interviewee, either. Getting hired with a fresh PhD ten years ago by my current employer was certainly due more to my well-pedigreed CV, the worker-friendly tech job market at the time, and plain old Providence than to my personal magnetism.

    By Blogger Leeton Lawdoc, At 11:54 AM  

  • That's true - my manager seems a little more lenient, probably because of the pressure to hire and the lack of "top" candidates.

    I'm still new to this, and one weakness I have is that I haven't seen the full cycle - interview, hire, review. When I can see more interviewees' performance 3-6 months after hire, I think I'll be a better judge of people.

    By Blogger Vijay Swamidass, At 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home