The Swamidass Sez

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Supply and Demand


I tried to sell it for $150. No takers. I lowered it to $75. Nada. Finally, at 2am on Wednesday morning, I gave up and listed it for free on Craiglist. Could I give it away or would I have to pay to get it out of my house?

The floodgates opened wide. By 9 in the morning, I had about 15 emails and almost 20 voicemails, and they poured in throughout the day. The messages included everything from cash offers to stories about why they wanted the desk. Finally, in hopes of finding a good home for the desk, we decided to ask each person for an explanation for why they wanted it.
Here are some samples:
I just lost all my furniture in storage due to my ex boyfriend stealing it, we had our storage unit in both our names so he was able to take it
I am now living with my folks and have no furniture once I can afford a place of my own and this would come in handy since I use my computer a lot and can keep my bills and in order with Otis desk as well as write since this is one of my passions


The reason i want the desk so badly is because for one i have always wanted a roll top desk.Embarrsing enough but i am on a fixed income and have never had or will have the finances to buy one new. I would take good care of the desk it would be going to a good home. i couldnt belive my eyes when i saw the picture of it .


I am a single mother and have a 15 year old son, who is in need of a desk. He has told me he loves rolltop desks but they are expensive, which is why I have been looking on craigslist. There was one that we missed recently and it was very disappointing to both of us. He is a good student and a great kid and I want him to have a nice desk he can feel proud of and feel good doing his homework in. This desk looks perfect for him.


It was a difficult choice, but we decided to go with the last one. We hope it was a wise decision and that the desk brings someone joy and satisfaction for many years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home