The Swamidass Sez

Monday, March 06, 2006

Birds of a Feather

Someone recently remarked to me, "Its hard to be with so-and-so. They seem to have such a perfect life." Though an exaggeration, the sentiment of this statement had merit, and it led me to consider a broader problem.

Reflecting on myself, I am in my late 20s, have a college degree, a professional career, a mortgage, a wife and now a child. Most, if not all, of my time is spent with people who are in almost the same age, education, tax bracket, and marital status as I am. From observing others, it seems that I am not alone.

People tend to naturally flock together with others who in a similar educational and economic status. Since they are on level ground, there is not a feeling that one has the advantage over the other. There is a level of discomfort or awkwardness when people are in the company of someone from a completely different socio-economic position, either higher or lower.

People of many different backgrounds make up the local and worldwide Church, and I know I need to do a better job of intentionally befriending (not just aquainting) those who are farther removed from my educational or economic situation.

4 Comments:

  • I agree sweetheart-I need to do the same thing! It would certainly unify the church more if we would befriend others, no matter their "status" in life. There is a comfort, however, in being with those with whom you share the same kinds of experiences (schooling, etc.). It's okay to enjoy those friendships, but then also enjoy friendships with others who don't share those same experiences. I guess the key is finding some common ground between each other-very possibly could be our love for Jesus. Just some random thoughts...

    By Blogger Heidamos, At 8:26 PM  

  • I received a later education, and did not enter a more affluent life until after my education. But, I was no idiot before my education, and I was good with theology, communication, and service to the church, and during this time of being “different,” my family and I had a very difficult time keeping good friendships. We could not talk about how we were decorating our home, or where we would go on vacation, etc. It was very stressful. This is why you don't see many poor people in the Reformed churches, because the poor are treated "poorly." There is no ethic of sharing in the church, like there should be (Acts 2 and 4), and most Reformed are too busy "enjoying what God has given them." Sorry for the high pitch, but this is a problem that many do not see. I appreciate you noticing it.

    By Blogger Mike Spreng, At 9:02 AM  

  • Mike,
    Thanks for the comments. I agree and I like your description of the problem - it is more vivid than mine.
    Hopefully, this is the start of some changes.

    Vijay

    By Blogger Vijay Swamidass, At 5:46 PM  

  • 12And He also went on to say to the one who had invited Him, "When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, otherwise they may also invite you in return and that will be your repayment. 13"But when you give a reception, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, 14and you will be blessed, since they do not have the means to repay you; for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous." 15When one of those who were reclining at the table with Him heard this, he said to Him, "Blessed is everyone who will eat bread in the kingdom of God!" - Luke 14

    By Blogger Vijay Swamidass, At 11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home