The Swamidass Sez

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Feel the Waves

I recently purchased a basic GPS Navigatior - the Garmin i5. I've only used it a few times, but I can already see how it fundamentally changes the driving experience. Here are just a few of the key benefits:

  • The driver is never lost
  • More direct routing saves time and gas
  • Quickly find nearby food, shopping, or entertainment in unfamliar places
This technology is still in its expanding stages, but in 5-10 years, I'm sure GPS Navigation Systems will become standard auto equipment just like CD Players and keyless entry (Investors can check out GRMN and NVT).

As I thought about GPS and other "wireless" technologies, I realized how much our society depends on electromagnetic signals of varying frequency and strength:

  • Radio (AM, FM, XM)
  • TV (Off the Air, Satellite)
  • Cellular Phones
  • Bluetooth Networks
  • WiFi Computer Networks
  • ILS Landing Systems at Airports
  • CB, Police, Aircraft, and Maritime Communications
  • Much, much, more...

Most of these signals started or greatly intensified in the last 50 years. I'm not sure if there any great conclusions to draw except that we live in simply amazing times and we may need to start wearing tin foil to protect us from all this radiation. ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home