The Swamidass Sez

Monday, December 26, 2005

Five Monkeys

This is a story I received at an Oracle Education Class recently, but I'm not sure what it has to do with database software...

"Start with a very large cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the other monkeys with cold water.

After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result - all the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon, when another monkey tries
to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him.

After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm! Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, and then the fifth.

Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked. Most of the monkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.

After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana. Why not? Because as far as they know that's the way it's always been done around here."

I have no idea if this experiment actually works this way, but it illustrates an idea I've been thinking about.
Often times, I am puzzled by the passionate reaction I receive when I question tradition. This year in particular I wondered why we give Christmas Gifts to each other. I heard various attempts to connect it with the birth of Jesus or the Gifts of the Magi. However, those answers don't hold water, and the real reason most people give gifts is "because that's what we do around here."

Ignorance is bliss - Most people don't question tradition and are perfectly happy without an explanation. For better or worse, it is clear that cultural pressure to conform is very strong.

5 Comments:

  • I agree. Although, I think there is something more to the Christmas gifts: It is enjoyable. Love is expressed and recieved. Whenever and however the tradition was started, it must have had some of the same intent for which it is carried on today. Love is the main motivation for gift-giving (over and against tradition). Tradition ensures that we keep doing it on certain dates such as Christmas, birthdays, Valentine's Day, anniversaries, etc. But, tradition also ensures that we can remember why (whether or not certain individuals choose to do it for other reasons). Look at the times we give presents; they all point back to love. We can forget this if we choose, but the connection is infused in the actual dates.

    By Blogger DrewDog, At 11:36 PM  

  • BTW, don't feel like you have to respond to all of my comments; I don't want to bog you down. I just enjoy conversation. I hear that iron sharpens iron...

    By Blogger DrewDog, At 11:37 PM  

  • Well, I also enjoy the conversation, and not many people I know have the patience for in-depth discussions. I know it makes me think more and write better knowing that someone might actually read this stuff.

    By Blogger Vijay Swamidass, At 9:46 PM  

  • I agree with you Love is often the motivation for giving gifts, and that is a good thing. However, the American Christmas Traditions are puzzling to me in more ways than just the gift-giving. But that discussion is probably worth another post.

    My point was not that traditions are all wrong, silly or bad. Rather, as we are separated by time and space from the origin of various traditions (like the monkeys), it is helpful to revisit the purpose from time to time. It may turn out that some of them are meaningful and others are empty.

    By Blogger Vijay Swamidass, At 10:14 PM  

  • Amen, Vijay. And just to make sure we're clear, I did understand and agree with your observation of traditions. I was just adding my two cents. I'm enjoying reading your posts, keep up the good work!

    Andrew

    By Blogger DrewDog, At 12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home