The Swamidass Sez

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Jack

I often pick up a hobby or occupation (music, languages, games, sports, etc.), become moderately proficient at it and then move on. I don't seem to stick with any one thing long enough to become an "expert." I can speak Portuguese, but I'm not fluent. I can ski most black diamonds, but balk at doubles. I can play some songs on the piano, but not well enough to perform. In some ways I think this has made me a jack of all trades, but master of none. I do a lot of things well, but not any one thing extremely well.

Looking at friends and others, those who are leaders in their chosen hobbies or jobs focus on a few things and set high goals. Its tough, but I think its time drop a few activities so I can excel in what I do and not just be mediocre.

1 Comments:

  • I hope I can follow your lead, Vijay. Sometimes I think my middle name is Mediocre Jack.

    Cheers

    By Blogger DrewDog, At 1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home